Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ipswich Pumpernickel Rye Porter


I’d like to give a shout out to one of my favorite local breweries. Mercury Brewing Company (AKA Ipswich) consistently produces some of my favorite beers. Ipswich Oatmeal Stout was one of those beers that I tried early on that really made me pay attention.
They recently release a series of beers subtitled “Five Mile” indicated that most of the ingredients were grown locallyincluding malted barley from Valley Malt in Hadley, MA and hops from their own hop farm in Ipswich.
The second beer in the series is a Pumpernickel Rye Porter. Deep dark and rich, this beer appears opaque in the glass with a head of dense mocha fluff on top. Hints of dark cocoa and coffee mingle with hints of spicy rye to create the sensory allusion to dark pumpernickel bread. The flavor is similarly tuned to recall the flavors of dark rye, with hints of spice, grain and bitter dark chocolate in the finish.
I’m always happy to pick up a beer from Ipswich and I eagerly anticipate any new release. Sometime this summer Mercury plans to open its new brewery in Ipswich complete with restaurant serving beers from their lineup as well as beers that are contract brewed at their facility. Can’t wait to see what they brew up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter