Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Summer Beer Round-Up #2: Sixpoint Apollo



UPDATE: It has been brought to my attention that, in fact, Apollo is a Kristalweizen (a filtered Hefeweizen). This comes as a bit of a shock, as all four cans that I sampled earlier this spring appeared somewhat hazy with at least a little "hefe" in suspension. Maybe the wheat was playing tricks on me.

---

This week’s summer beer comes from Sixpoint Brewery.  Their new summer seasonal comes in the form of a traditional Bavarian Hefeweizen Wheat Beer.

Sixpoint Apollo is refreshing (in more ways than one).  While I truly enjoy mashing things up a bit when it comes to traditional styles, I also find it somewhat daring for a brewery these days to release a beer that has nothing to stand between it and long tradition.

Sixpoint Apollo stands up to that tradition and does not disappoint.  It pours a cloudy, golden-yellow with a large off white head. Banana and clove are present in both aroma and flavor with an amazingly tart and refreshing quality through the finish.

Next time I pick this one up I’ll make certain to pair it with some weisswurst and mustard. Very well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter